- Estimated total population:1
- 241 million
- Maternal mortality ratio:2
- 228/100,000 live births
- Infant mortality rate:2
- 32/1,000 live births
- Under-five mortality rate:2
- 40/1,000 live births
- Total fertility rate:1
- Contraceptive prevalence:2
58% (modern methods)
62% (all methods)
- HIV prevalence:3
- Births with skilled provider:2
1Population Reference Bureau 2012 Population Data Sheet;
- 2Indonesia Demographic and Health Survey 2012: Preliminary Report;
- 3UNAIDS 2010 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic.
For nearly 30 years, Jhpiego has worked in partnership with Indonesian public and private sector organizations to improve access to high-quality care to improve health outcomes and save the lives of women and their children. To achieve this, Jhpiego has focused on: improving the quality of services for maternal and newborn health (MNH) and reproductive health/family planning (RH/FP) services; increasing training capacity for MNH and RH/FP; improving the quality of midwifery education; supporting the prevention of cervical cancer and infectious diseases; and ensuring community mobilization. Currently, Jhpiego focuses on the following programs:
- Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival (EMAS): Jhpiego leads a five-year, $55 million cooperative agreement, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), to improve the quality of emergency MNH services in 150 hospitals and 300 community health centers (Puskesmas) in six provinces.
- Leveraging Mobile Technology to Save Lives:Jhpiego, with support from the GE Foundation, is using innovative, low-cost mobile technology approaches (mHealth) to improve knowledge about antenatal and postnatal care and to increase use of high-quality services during pregnancy and the newborn period.
- Strengthening Midwifery and Primary Care Services:In collaboration with ExxonMobil, Jhpiego has been working in the Bojonegoro Regency and Tuban District of the East Java Province to improve midwifery services in 15 communities in Bojonegoro.
For a complete description of Jhpiego’s work in this country, click the link below.
|Indonesia Country Profile PDF||629.45 KB|