- Estimated total population:1
- 103.0 million
- Maternal mortality ratio:2
- 221/100,000 live births
- Infant mortality rate:2
- 22/1,000 live births
- Under-five mortality rate:2
- 30/1,000 live births
- Total fertility rate:1
- Contraceptive prevalence:2
- 37% (modern methods)
- 55% (all methods)
- HIV prevalence:3
- Births with skilled provider:2
- 1Population Reference Bureau 2015 World Population Data Sheet;
- 2Philippines 2011 Family Health Survey;
- 3WHO Global Health Observatory Data Repository, Philippines country statistics.
With support from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Merck & Co. and others, Jhpiego has worked in the Philippines for nearly 40 years. Currently, Jhpiego works under the following USAID-funded programs:
- The MindanaoHealth regional project is a five-year, health services strengthening project (2013–2018) that supports the Philippines Department of Health to scale up high-impact services to improve maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition (MNCHN) outcomes, and to reduce unmet need for family planning (FP) methods. MindanaoHealth aims to improve the health of Filipino families in 19 provinces and two cities across the Mindanao region by dramatically increasing the quality and uptake of these health services at household level, in geographically isolated communities and conflict-affected areas, and at both public and private health facilities.
- The LuzonHealth regional project, led by RTI International, supports the Department of Health-led scale-up of high-impact services and patient-centered information to improve MNCHN outcomes, and to reduce unmet need for FP methods, especially among the lowest wealth quintiles. As technical lead for the LuzonHealth team, Jhpiego is responsible for increasing access to high-quality MNCHN/FP services for priority populations.
In addition to working with the support of USAID, Jhpiego continues its rich tradition of working with the Philippines Department of Health, as well as various international and local partners.
For a complete description of Jhpiego’s work in this country, click the link below.
|Philippines Country Profile.pdf||406.82 KB|