- Estimated total population:1
- 170.1 million
- Maternal mortality ratio:2
- 545 per 100,000 live births
- Infant mortality rate:2
- 75 per 1,000 live births
- Under-five mortality rate:2
- 157 per 1,000 live births
- Total fertility rate:2
- Contraceptive prevalence:2
- 9.7% (modern methods)
- 14.6% (all methods)
- HIV prevalence:3
- Births with skilled provider:3
- 1Population Reference Bureau 2012 World Population Data Sheet;
- 2Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey 2008;
- 3 Nigeria National Serosentinel Survey Report 2010.
Jhpiego has been working in Nigeria since the late 1970s, initially to strengthen pre-service education in medical and nursing colleges and to update knowledge and skills of health workers. More recently, from 2006 to 2012, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Jhpiego to design and implement a program in Nigeria to increase the use of high-quality emergency obstetric and newborn care (EmONC), child survival and reproductive health/family planning services in Zamfara, Kano and Katsina States.
Currently, Jhpiego is implementing the following programs:
- With funding from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Jhpiego is improving services for HIV counseling and testing, as well as the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV.
- Under a program funded by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Jhpiego is working to increase access to high-quality maternal health care through community health care workers.
- Jhpiego is also a partner under the USAID-funded Targeted States High Impact Project, whose overall primary objective is to increase the use of selected, high-impact interventions in two Nigerian states.
- Under a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-funded grant, Jhpiego is accelerating the scale-up of contraceptive implants.
- Under an award from the Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme, a local nongovernmental organization, Jhpiego is supporting the Nigerian Ministry of Health to implement HIV interventions in Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo States.
For a complete description of Jhpiego's work in this country, click the link below.
|Nigeria Country Profile PDF||917.24 KB|