- Estimated total population:1
- 22.4 million
- Maternal mortality ratio:2
- 610 per 100,000 live births
- Infant mortality rate:2
- 98 per 1,000 live births
- Under-five mortality rate:2
- 161 per 1,000 live births
- Total fertility rate:3
- Contraceptive prevalence:4
- 17.7% (all methods)
- HIV prevalence:1
- Births with skilled provider:3
- 1Population Reference Bureau 2014 World Population Data Sheet;
- 2UNICEF Information by Country Program;
- 3Angola Malaria Indicator Survey 2006–2007;
- 4Integrated Survey on Population Wellbeing, Inquérito Integrado sobre bem estar da população 2008–2009;
- 5UNAIDS 2010 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic.
Jhpiego has been working in Angola since 2006, initially focusing on prevention of malaria in pregnancy with funding from ExxonMobil. From 2006 to 2011, Jhpiego also provided technical assistance to the Essential Health Services Project, managed by Chemonics and funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
Since October 2011, Jhpiego has been implementing a five-year project, Strengthening Angolan Systems for Health (SASH), in partnership with Management Sciences for Health. This project (referred to in Portuguese as Fortalecimento dos Sistemas Angolanos de Saúde, or ForçaSaúde) supports the Government of Angola’s Revitalization of Municipal Health Services Strategy to ensure that the Essential Package of Health Services, as defined by the Ministry of Health, is available in every health facility in Luanda and Huambo Provinces.
In addition, from January 2014 to January 2015, Jhpiego received funds from The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to implement a project focused on the use of peer support to improve retention of women and their children in HIV prevention, treatment, care and support services throughout maternal care.
|Angola Country Profile.pdf||508.49 KB|